Welcome to another post on how to dress if you are a petite or short woman, i have many petite friends who find it hard to dress whenever they want to go for any occasion, it takes them more hours before they could choose an outfit.
I understand the whole problem behind what to wear if you are short and chubby, trust me when I say that choosing dresses for short girls or dress for short height girl is simple as blowing off a candlelight, i would be putting you through the whole art on How to dress for short height girl and also give you the best petite outfits ideas all in this post, so stay tuned.
Before we go into this post, i would like you to check out this post i wrote on what to wear with black jeans and How to wear a crop top, as they would help you to build a better understanding of this post. without no further ado lets dive into today’s post.
How To Dress If You Are Petite Or Short Woman – Tips, Dos & Don’ts
- The first rule of thumb for petite women is to follow the 2/3rd – 1/3rd rule. It just means that you do not split your body into two halves with your dressing. Instead, you cover 2/3rd of your body with the bottoms and remaining 1/3rd with your top.
- Layering is the best way to spruce up your look, but do not overdo it and make it overwhelming.
- Do not choose dresses that stop in the calf region – either keep it short till the knees or till the ankle.
- Be watchful of where the shoulders sit – they need to be on point and not be too tight or too loose.
- The same holds good for your sleeves as well; they should fall till the tip of your arms and no further. They can be shorter, but not longer.
- Monochromes are your best friends – keep them close.
- Stay away from outfits that are too boxy and square shaped; it does not suit your body type.
- If you choose stripes, choose vertical, especially for one piece dresses, trousers, etc. The tops can be horizontal.
- Wear heels or some elevated footwear – most obvious way to look taller.
- Accessories and belts – always keep them slim and svelte instead of broad and bulky.
Outfit Ideas For Short Girls (And Petite) Body Types
1. Bridal Dresses
Big days better be the best in every sense. Just show off your assets and pull it off with all the confidence you have got. Flaunt your frame with off-shoulder dresses and choose these over sweetheart necklines because they create an illusion of a broader canvas. Sheer necklines that trickle down to become backless work towards your advantage. Other choices are noodle straps dresses or halter style that cinch at the bodice and billow out as they move down. Avoid dresses with high necklines, full sleeves, and the train down since you will probably get lost in so much fabric.
2. Maxi Dresses For Short Women
Choose maxi dresses that have some definition over straight cuts. Asymmetrical hemlines, cap or flower sleeves, ruffled bodice, etc., are great. Dresses with lighter fabrics like organza, georgette, etc., are good. Bump it up with chunky accessories but ensure they are not too consuming.
3. Sequin Skirt And Tucked In Shirt
Pencil skirts complement your body type and blend in entirely, but you need to style the outfit with something that does not shrink you further. Drop those tank or tube tops and swap them with a plaid or chambray shirt that has the right amount of volume. Tuck it in, and doll up in pointed heels – it is the most obvious way of looking taller.
Swapping your playsuits with a jumpsuit can make a lot of difference to the height. The tieable ones instead of the buttoned downs are even better. Wearing cap sleeves instead of going sleeveless is another trick to open up your frame a little. This with ankle length boots will never fail you.
5. Pantsuits For Short Women
Think a little out of the box and up your fashion game by going for slightly flared up formal pants instead of pencil cuts. For a complete formal look, pair this with a well-fitted shirt or bodysuits and a blazer with a flared hemline, again to accentuate it a little. Or, opt for a linen blazer, trousers, and tops that do not stick to your body and give you enough structure.
6. Oversized Sweater And Denims
Nobody looks as cute as a petite woman in an oversized sweater and jeggings, skinny denim or leggings. If you can get your hands on sweaters with in-built chokers, off-shoulders styles, etc., it only gets better.
7. One Piece Dress
Sweater, T-shirt or denim dresses can look uber chic, however, try and add layers to your dress. Add a kimono or shrug, sweater or a coat in winter, etc. to spruce it up a little, but of course, do NOT overlayer.
8. Jeans For Petite Women
Boyfriend/mommy jeans, distressed denim, etc. add a filter to your outfit. They stretch your lower body and to make it seem longer. Tops with ruffles, puffed sleeves, off or cold shoulders, etc. spruce them up for you.
9. Formal Wear
The rule pretty much remains the same, if you are a fan of bodycon formal dresses, go ahead. But adding a blazer might be a good idea. Or, if you prefer ankle length trousers, go for slightly off-beat choices of formal tops like a silk top instead of satin. The idea is to do whatever it takes to not look too minuscule and lost in your clothing.
10. Black T-Shirt Dress With A Kimono Or Jacket
A lot of people assume that T-shirt dresses are meant for smaller body types, but it can look pretty bland because of your straight body type. Doll up with some accessories or anything else that complements the dress and also add a little zing to your outfit.
Online And Offline Stores To Shop For Petite Women
- American Outfitter
- Dorothy Perkins
- Bomb Petite
- Banana Republic
- Lord & Taylor
- Ann Taylor
- Petite Shop
- American Eagle
These styles and ideas i gave to you would really help you up your dressing as a petite lady, as we all know that there is no one way to do a particular thing, so i advice you to listen to your body and also try to dress comfortably. If there are any questions you would want to ask me then you can use the comment box and i would give you a quick reply.